Fixation with paraformaldehyde¶
Contributed by Martin Fitzpatrick, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom
Fixation with paraformaldehyde
- Add 41.5ml 2.26% sodium dihydrogen orthophosphate to a suitable heat-proof container
- Add 8.5ml sodium hydroxide 2.52%
- Heat to 60-80’C in a covered container
- Add 2g ‘Analar’ paraformaldehyde, stirring thoroughly until dissolved.
Adding a couple of drops of 1M NaOH can help the PFA dissolve.
- Allow to cool and filter to remove particulates. Recheck pH.
- Store at RT and ideally use within 48h.
This method is based, with permission, on an original protocol available here.