Helly’s fluid fixation¶
Contributed by Martin Fitzpatrick, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom
Fixation using Helly’s fluid
- To prepare stock solution add 1l distilled water to suitable container.
- Add 25g potassium dichromate.
- Add 50g mercuric chloride.
- Add 10g sodium sulphate and mix thoroughly. Store stock solution until required.
- Make up fixative just before use.
Add 5ml formalin (40% aqueous solution of formaldehyde) to 100ml stock solution
- Fix tissues for 12-24 hours
- Wash fixed tissue for 24hours prior to processing
This method is based, with permission, on an original protocol available here.