APES treatment of slides¶
Contributed by Matt Lewis <firstname.lastname@example.org>
This is an alternative to poly-L-lysine treatment. The APES coating makes the slides more adhesive for fixed tissue and living cells.
- Prepare 1% acid alcohol with [1% (v/v) concentrated HCl, 70% Ethanol, 29% H2O]
- Immerse slide in 1% acid/alcohol for 30 mins to clean the slides.
- Rinse in running water, then immerse in distilled water, then remove and allow to dry.
- Immerse slide in acetone for 10 minutes
- Immerse in [2%(v/v) APES in acetone] for 5 minutes. APES is aminopropyltriethoxysilane (Sigma A3648)
- Immerse briefly in 2 sequential rinses of distilled H2O
- Allow to dry and store in a dust-free container. Slides will keep well for months but not years.
This method is based, with permission, on an original protocol available here.