Proteinase K treatment¶
Contributed by Martin Fitzpatrick, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom
Basic proteinase K treatment
- Aliquot an appropriate volume of 10mM Tris-HCl
- Add 1mM EDTA (ethylenediamine tetraacetic acid)
- Add 1% v/v Tween 20
- Add 0.1mg/ml proteinase K
- Mix solution thoroughly then adjust to a pH 8.0 as appropriate with ,magnetic stirrer
- Incubate sample overnight at 37’C.
Longer incubations and higher concentrations of proteinase K will improve DNA quality and yield from fixed tissue sections.
- Boil sample in solution for 8 minutes to inactivate the proteinase K. Sample is now ready for PCR.