Neutral buffered formalin fixation¶
Contributed by Martin Fitzpatrick, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom
Fixation with neutral buffered formalin
- To produce 10L pour a base 1L distilled water into a suitable container.
- Add 40g sodium dihydrogen orthophosphate (monohydrate)
- Add 65g disodium hydrogen orthophosphate (anhydrous)
- Add 1L formaline (40% aqueous solution of formaldehyde)
- Add a further 8L water for use
- Immerse samples and fix for 12-24 hours
- Samples may be stored in this fixative if required
This method is based, with permission, on an original protocol available here.